Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Genesis

2020 update

In the simplest of words, this blog is about me trying to understand what is good and what is true, and counting how many times I change my mind along the way.

Bayesian Fox is a reference to two things: Bayes' Theorem and Philip Tetlock's superforecasters.

I'm mostly interested in understanding human behavior, including, and perhaps especially, my own.

I get a lot of my inspiration from Scott Alexander. He believed in the Principle of Charity, writing:
"Charity is ... to assume that if you don’t understand how someone could possibly believe something as stupid as they do, that this is more likely a failure of understanding on your part than a failure of reason on theirs."
I believe in charity. I also believe in the quote by Richard Feynman:
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself – and you are the easiest person to fool."
Finally, I am inspired by the Thomas Sowell quote, "There are no solutions. Only tradeoffs."

I hope this blog is a place where I can come to better understand others and avoid fooling myself. And I hope to always consider the tradeoffs. 

I have a particular interest in policy, partisanship, tribalism, and psychology.

1 comment:

  1. The principle of charity in philosophy seems like it might be relevant as well.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_charity

    ReplyDelete