Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Short takes

 I wrote a long blog post comparing the issue of trust among countries. One of my issues is that the measure asks people what they think rather than observing how they behave. As it turns out, someone did a study based on behavior. Scandinavian countries still come out on top.


My post on formative institutions was about many things, but in one section I made the case for the necessity of media as an institution. Similarly, Tanner Greer makes the case for why Substack will not be as disruptive as many people think


I wrote a blog post about my depression and how reading and learning something new is a way of drowing that out. Now it appears there is some science that backs up my behavior. 

"In recent years, other dopamine pathways in the brain have been proposed that are strongly linked to the reward value of information. People who score high in the general tendency toward exploration are not only driven to engage in behavioral forms of exploration but also tend to get energized through the possibility of discovering new information and extracting meaning and growth from their experience....

"Don’t understand why everyone else around you is so interested in sex, drugs, and money, and you get so turned on by stimulating ideas and learning new and interesting things? Now you have a potential answer: You may be highly sensitive to the reward value of information."


I support ideological diversity. Now, science supports it. 



Contrasts a previous study I read that showed teachers favoring boys over girls on math tests.


Again, my messy post on formative institutions was about many things. One of them was why I think it's a mistake to make police brutality a racial issue rather than a human rights issue. As a reminder, here is a list of unarmed white people killed by cops. This affects everyone.


In my blog post "True, Kind, and Necessary" I cited a tweet from Bret Weinstein speculating about the coronavirus possibly being created in a lab. His intention wasn't to point the finger at China but to draw attention to the fact that, if true, it will shape how we go about creating a vaccine. However, after reading that Moderna developed the vaccine in just two freaking days, way back in March, I have to downgrade Bret as an expert on viruses.


My most viewed blog post, by quite a wide margin, is called "Ideology is a Pair of Sunglasses". I wrote about the power of viewpoint diversity in cancelling out false negatives and false positives. In a single tweet, John Wood Jr. summarized what I was trying to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment